Org chart tools can be a bit restrictive when it comes to representing the actual hierarchy of your organization. In the real world a person may report to multiple people or fill multiple positions within the company, and Built for Teams is ready for these scenarios.
In Built for Teams each person must have a primary position, but can also have as many secondary positions as needed. In many organizations these secondary positions are called dotted-line relationships.
The primary position is shown on the org chart with a solid line. A person's secondary positions are represented by dashed/dotted lines on the org chart.
Some common scenarios in which this feature might be useful include:
- An assistant who reports to multiple executives
- A person who is temporarily filling an open position until a new person is hired
- A person who wears many "hats" within your organization and you'd like to represent this on the org chart
To create a dotted line position for a person, follow these steps. You must be a Company Admin, HR Admin or an HR Manager to do this.
- Go to the Org Chart.
- Find the person who is going to report to multiple people.
- Click on the gear icon to open the position menu.
- Click on the "Add Dotted Line Relationship" link.
- In the form, type the name of the person to whom they will report in this new dotted line relationship. You must type the name of someone who is already on the org chart. Enter a title for this new position as well. The title for this new position can be different from the title of the person's primary position.
- Save your changes.
You should now see this person on your org chart twice. Once in their primary position which has a solid line connector, and once in their new dotted line position which has a dashed line connector.
As a final note, you can also accomplish this by working in the other direction, from the manager downward instead of from the employee upward. To do this, create a new reporting position under the 2nd manager, then type the name of the person who should fill that position. Even if the person already has a primary position elsewhere in the organization, the system will let you place them in this new position as well and create a dotted line to the new manager.
Dotted line relationships do not incur any additional costs.