Using the departments feature in Built for Teams requires that you have first set up your org chart. Once your org chart is in place, departments are simple to create:
- Load your org chart by clicking Org Chart in the main left-hand navigation.
- Then, click on the building icon in the tools panel on the left side of the org chart.
- To create a new department, simply click on the blue + icon.
- Type a name for this department, such as "Sales" or "Marketing".
- Type the name of the person who is the head of this department.
- You can click on the color block to assign a new color for that department if you'd like.
- Save your changes.
Once you've saved your new department, each person on the org chart who is below the department head will automatically be placed in this new department. On the org chart or directory, you can now choose to view your employees by department.
Departments can be "nested" so that there are as many departments within departments as you might need. A person who is in a nested department will be considered part of the innermost department. For example, if John Doe is in the "Design" department, which is within a larger "Marketing" department, John is considered to be in the Design department.
To edit an existing department, hover over the department name (in the tools panel on the left side of the org chart) and then click on the three dots next to the department title. You can then select View, Edit or Delete.
If you'd like to group or organize employees without any hierarchy, try creating a list instead.