If your organization increases the amount of PTO an employee receives after a certain number of years of employment, Built for Teams can automatically handle that increase for you.
For example, you may offer 80 hours of vacation for employees who have worked for you for fewer than three years. For employees who have worked for you more than three years, you may offer 120 hours of vacation.
Follow the instructions below to set up a tiered PTO accrual schedule.
- Go to Settings > Paid Time Off.
- Click on the name of the policy you wish to edit.
- In the box below the question “How much time off is earned per year?” enter the amount new employees will receive.
- Click the link "Add a years-of-service tier".
- Enter the appropriate number of hours and the year at which an employee begins earning at this new rate. Note that the year value you input represents the total number of years completed by the employee, e.g. 3 years means 3 completed years...not the beginning of the 3rd year of employment.
- Enter as many additional tiers as needed.
- Save your changes.
Note: Built for Teams does support adding decimals to the "year" value, to support timeframes like 6 months or 18 months. More information can be found in this article.
Note: Employees will automatically receive the new amount at the next accrual event following their anniversary date. In pay-period accruals, that means the next accrual date following the anniversary. In lump sum accruals, that means at the next reset date as defined in your PTO policy.