Synchronizing PTO Events to an External Calendar
This article explains how to get PTO requests from your Built for Teams account to show up on an external calendar like Outlook or Google Calendar. The information that will appear on the external calendar is limited to the employee name the PTO policy label (which can be customized).
1. Copy the iCal URL
- Click the Share button on your Built for Teams calendar.
- Note that each event type can be shared as its own calendar, or you can combine event types into a single calendar link.
- Click the "Get iCal URL" link next to the calendar you want to share, if you want to share calendars individually.
- If you want to share multiple calendars via one link, check the boxes next to each calendar that you want to include, and then in the "Share selected calendars with a single URL" row, click the "Get iCal URL".
Note that only administrators have access to this area of Built for Teams. Employees will have to obtain this link from an administrator.
2. Paste the iCal URL into your external calendar
Depending on the calendar you use and its version, the steps for how to add a calendar using a link may vary. You should be able to add to any calendar, but you might need to search online for additional instructions.
For Microsoft Outlook 365:
- Open your Outlook calendar.
- Right click on "Other Calendars".
- Click "Open Calendar".
- Paste the iCal link from Built for Teams into the "Internet Calendar" field.
For Google Calendar:
- Open your Google calendar.
- Click the arrow next to "Other Calendars".
- Click on "Add by URL".
- Paste the iCal link from Built for Teams into the field.
Note: Because Google and Outlook determine how often to synchronize external calendar data, new PTO requests may take up to 24 hours to show on your calendar. To see real-time PTO requests and approvals go to your Built for Teams calendar.